Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Minimums and Monsters



I have written many times before about my depression and anxiety and about how exercise helps me cope with them.  My experience is anecdotal, of course, but science backs me up:  depression symptoms are often improved by exercise, particularly cardio.

This is one reason why I have a minimum daily exercise goal and a nearly foolproof plan to make it happen.  I have to walk my dog for about half an hour.  If I do that, I don’t have to do anything else.  Most days, I do plenty more, but on days when the Depression Monster visits, that is enough.  The foolproof part is that if I don’t walk my dog, she harasses me.  It is less trouble to walk her than to deal with her unwalked.  (I did not get a dog for this reason, but there are worse reasons to get a dog…)

What works for me may not work for anyone else.  Cardio is no substitute for professional help, but in most cases it won’t hurt to add it on.  And if it helps us outrun the Depression Monster, so much the better.

Let’s be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment