Tuesday, May 14, 2019

As You Wish...



In theory, being a Fitness Professional, I know better.  One would think that I would be immune to laziness, junk food, and seductive couches.  One would be wrong.  I have the exact same struggles as everyone else.  What I do get, included with my Fitness Professional deluxe package, is more tools to use to attack those struggles and maybe a tad more experience with the wrestling.

When I’m there on the couch with my popcorn and my 27th episode of some cop show or other and I feel gross, I have to kick myself in the butt (figuratively.  It is almost impossible to kick oneself in the butt while sitting on a couch eating popcorn…).  I know that I’m not going to feel immediately better if I go lift weights or hop on the spin bike.  In fact, I might even feel temporarily worse.  The thing is, I know that I get to choose.  I can stay there and continue to feel horrible, or I can get moving, feel horrible, and then feel better.  Maybe it doesn’t sound encouraging to say that feeling horrible is inevitable.  Feeling horrible in order to feel better seems more encouraging than just plain feeling horrible, to me.

Or, to put it another way, Wesley points out in The Princess Bride that life is pain and that anyone who tells you different is selling something.  We can choose pointless pain, or the kind of pain that leads to awesomeness.

How are we going to get awesome today?

No comments:

Post a Comment