Thursday, April 4, 2019

Like other mantras aren't just as weird...



I love rubrics.  They’re a little more flexible than rules, but they help me figure out how to get where I’m going without obsessing about perfection.  One of my favorite rubrics is:  keep taking out the garbage.  (Yes, recycling and green can stuff, too.)  (It’s literal AND a metaphor.  Keep reading.)

On the literal level, life is better when the smelly, dirty, messy stuff is not cluttering up the space.  When we sort out and dispose of the used tissues, empty envelopes, banana peels, holey socks (if we have holy socks, we probably should keep them), and the like, we have more space for the good stuff.

On the (more) figurative level, it works pretty well for fitness and nutrition.  Getting off my butt to take out the garbage gets me active.  Removing the junk food from my lunch allows me to fuel myself with better things.

And when I get really metaphorical, I can purge out the ideas that hold me back, the thought patterns that tell me I can’t do things or that I’m not good (or thin, or smart, or strong) enough for something.

What’s your garbage?  How are you going to take it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment