Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Plans, Meet Reality...



Of course, I plan workouts.  I even share the weekly workout on Mondays, or at least its outline.  Here’s the thing:  the workout on the paper might not resemble what we actually do.

I can plan the Very Best Workout Ever and then a client shows up with knee pain, or shoulder pain, or even the worst work stress in the universe.  We have to adapt.  Sometimes that means a gentler version of an exercise.  Other times, my clients have taken leaps forward and need something more challenging.  Still other times, it’s clear that lots of stretching and rolling would really help more than anything else, or that a brief detour on to the Pilates equipment will enhance the rest of the workout.

We have to stay present when we’re working.  We need to check that what we are doing is actually good for us, right now (this does not mean that it is always fun, although I try my best to make even the worst exercises less horrible than they could be…).

We are not robots.  Sometimes we are achy, hungry, stressed, tired humans.  My goal is always that we leave our workouts better than when we started.

No comments:

Post a Comment