Wednesday, October 17, 2018

I spelled paraphernalia without using spell check, just so you know



Personally, I don’t love the paraphernalia of workouts.  I want to be able to show up and get going rather than spend a bunch of time setting stuff up and tracking down equipment or tools.  This is the appeal of body weight workouts and yoga and running, for example, because, hey, no stuff to lug around!  That said, equipment and tools can make a big difference in how we feel about working out.  Here are some things that make my workouts better:

• Music.  Cardio can get boring very fast.  Unless we are very new at working out, most of us can’t get enough of a workout while reading, so we have to find other ways to occupy our brains.  Some people like audio books.  A lot of people swear by watching television.  (Before I broke up with football, I used to justify some of my viewing habits by watching from the spin bike, doing high intensity intervals during the commercials and seated pedaling during the game itself…)

• Protective stuff.  For me, that means elbow and wrist straps for biking and lifting.  Those of us who have knee or ankle issues may have a bond with our braces.  We may prefer squishy mats for our knees or backs during floor exercises.  And yes, we all need to wear our helmets when we bike, skateboard, and scooter.

• The right clothes.  I used to work out in any old t-shirt.  That works fine.  But once I realized that I could get all sweaty and not have an extra 30 pounds of wet cotton on my back, I was finally sold on all the cool swanky fitness fabrics.  Also, the person who invented the small-of-the-back pocket on bike shirts is an absolute genius; those pockets should be standard on all clothing.

What’s on your list of stuff that makes a workout better?

No comments:

Post a Comment