Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Joe Knows...




One of the fun things about my work is that I get to try stuff out on myself.  I get to experiment for fun and it turns out useful!  This month’s experiment is a commitment to doing yoga daily.  As of this post, I’m about halfway through.  It has been instructive.

 

Not surprisingly, I’m feeling (slightly) more flexible (I’m never going to be all that flexible—it’s not my gift) and like I have some new mobility in my joints.  Which has made me work really hard on my stability.  Suddenly my arms and legs are going in directions I don’t expect!  Chaos!  Wobbling!

 

Oh, right.  I have deep muscles on purpose.  They’re for controlling all that chaos and creating balance.  Tuning in to what is happening on the inside helps bring order to the outside.  What a concept!

 

I’m also appreciating the way that Pilates and yoga can work together.  There are plenty of poses that are not available to my body at the moment, and may never be truly possible for me, but Pilates tools can scaffold the skills for me so I can continue to approximate my way to greatness.

 

Pilates certainly can scaffold way more than yoga.  The refinements it encourages to overall movement patterns can benefit pretty much every other kind of movement.  That Joe was a smart guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment