Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Sometimes I get lucky...



I have a dog with a bad habit.  She is an early riser.  For the most part, I am, too, but she and I have slightly different definitions of “early.”  If I am very, very lucky, she lets me sleep in until 6.

Because I strive to be a make-lemonade kind of person, my dog’s bad habit has led to my personal daily minimum exercise.  She and I have to go for a walk.  We spend about half an hour trekking to 7-Eleven to buy a newspaper and coming back.  It gets me close to the recommended 30 minutes per day of moderate cardio and my normal running around takes care of any minutes that I miss.

We all have ways we can essentially automate our lowest bar for exercise.  Those of us who are not blessed with an early-rising dog may have to make a rule about having to walk to get that special coffee in the morning or about which parking place to choose or maybe even how many items we carry up and down the stairs at a time.

This makes it possible to focus our dedicated exercise time on the stuff that is harder to automate, like lifting weights or working flexibility and balance.

We can do this.  Also, I am happy to lend out my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment