Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Play is the work of...






When I learn new things, I like to remember that it’s a process.  Those of you who have been reading along for a while know that my most recent continuing education effort was about flexibility and stretching.  I passed the course (of course!), but now that the academic part is done, I’m exploring the practical applications.

One way I do that is by… practicing.  I try techniques on myself.  I try stuff on my family members (they don’t mind; they’re used to me by now).  As I get more of a feel for how different things work, I throw one or two new things into my workouts with my clients.  Not surprisingly, some things work better for some people than others.  Whether the specific exercises I try work the way I want them to or not, I learn.

 

I know I say this a lot, but it is really worth repeating:  experimenting is the way to go.  Our culture is super hyper focused on successful results and that inhibits our ability to play, to be curious, to find out.  Trial and error is not trial and error if there is no error.  Learning what doesn’t work is often as useful as learning what does.

 

Go play.  It might be fun.  It might not be.  But odds are that we’ll learn something either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment