Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Goal Setting, Part 1: Pre-Goal Data






So far this month, we’ve been going over the basics of our fitness programs.  Now it’s time to think about goals.  Today I’m going to discuss some pre-goal planning and tomorrow I’ll talk about some characteristics of good goals.

 

One of the first things I do when I meet a new client is collect a bunch of data.  (No, I don’t say, “Hi, my name is Janet and now I’m going to wrap my tape measure around you,” but it’s close…)  I do this because we have to know where we are before we start trying to go anywhere.  I’m putting the “You Are Here” mark on the map, so to speak.

 

When we’re getting ready to set goals, we want two different kinds of data, quantitative and qualitative.

 

Quantitative data, as we all probably know already, is stuff we can measure.  I collect height, weight, and circumference measures (chest, waist, hip, upper arm, thigh, calf).  I use my electrical impedance gizmo to get an approximate measure of my client’s body fat percentage.  (The gizmo also calculates BMI, but I’m not in love with that as an indicator of fitness even though it is widely used, mostly because it’s a relatively easy math problem.)  I give a step test to assess cardio fitness.  I give a flexibility test.  All of this is the Before picture, the benchmark.

 

Qualitative data is the fuzzy stuff.  I watch my new clients do a squat with arms overhead and analyze the movement to see where compensations are happening.  I ask about what they do for a living, what they like to do, and what they want, in a general sort of way, whether that is to impress the former Mean Girls at the high school reunion or to run a marathon or just to feel better.

 

I do a lot of listening.  I know a lot about the general recommendations for what people should do to be fit, but I’m not there to make someone’s goals for them.  I will choose a different workout for someone planning to climb mountains than I will for someone who wants to decrease body fat percentage and yet another workout for someone who wants to get to the top of the stairs without passing out.

 

What we want, at the end of our pre-goal-setting data collection is a picture of where we are and an idea of where we want to get.  I use my education and experience to map out areas that are going to need attention and I pay attention to what is important to my clients.  The important stuff is what gets clients to do stuff that, in the moment, is not always super fun.

 

So:  where are we and where do we want to go and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment