Thursday, June 10, 2021

Drink up






Where I live, it is, in my opinion, way too hot right now.  I am drinking water, water, and more water.  This can be hard for people to manage, so here are some things that might help:

 

1.     Choose fizzy.  As a former soda drinker, this was key to my success.  Fizzy water seems slightly more festive than plain old flat water.  Obviously, if you don’t like fizzy water, choose flat.

2.     Get the right temperature.  For me, this means lots of ice, but some people find more success drinking water that is closer to room temperature.

3.     Pretend it’s a spa thing.  Throw a lemon slice or some mint leaves or a bit of cucumber in there.  Melon can also be nice.  It’s not just water:  it’s a mini vacation.

4.     Get the right container.  Some of us like straws; some of us like sippy cups; some of us are fancy and use glass; some swear by our water bottles.  Finding the right one makes a surprising amount of difference.  (Mine is insulated and has a lid that I use if I’m taking it somewhere, but leave off if I’m just hanging at home.  The cup is also red.)

5.     Set a goal.  This works for people who like to compete or folks who like to check boxes.  Make a chart and stick it on the fridge; give stickers.  Use an app to track it.

6.     Check in.  A lot of us go around slightly dehydrated.  When we succeed at drinking water, it’s useful to notice that we feel better, less crabby, sharper.

No comments:

Post a Comment