Tuesday, February 25, 2020

In which I stretch a metaphor...



I confess that I use pictures of flowers on my blog because I like taking pictures of flowers, not because they have any particular relevance to fitness topics—but, if pressed, I can make some connections.

For one thing, flowers are about growth.  It may seem like they magically appear with the onset of spring, but they have been in the works for a long time before.  The plant uses the resources of air and soil and sun and water to grow.  It recruits pollinators with pretty shiny enticements so that it can produce seeds and start the cycle again.  Most of what goes into the flower happens without anybody outside noticing.

That kind of quiet, behind the scenes, constant work is what we do with our workouts.  We transform our own nutrients and water into muscles and strong bones.  (Personal pollination is beyond the scope of my practice, but enticing “pollinators” is definitely a motivation for some folks who work out…)

It is also useful to note that there are many, many kinds of plants.  Some have showier flowers, some have more luscious fruit, some have sturdier branches.  The way they work and grow varies, but they all do it, much like we can.

When we all grow as best we can, we make a beautiful biome.

No comments:

Post a Comment