Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Not the same...


Anyone who has been reading along with me since I started posting this blog knows that I post a workout on Mondays that is the one I use with clients for the week (or did when I got to see my clients and will again when it is safe to do so!).  How is that personal training?  I mean, one workout for everyone?

Why yes, I am going to answer my own rhetorical questions that I put in the mouths of my theoretical readers!  The workout never turns out to be the same.

For example, squats are my favorite exercise.  I put them in lots and lots of workouts.  However, not every client gets the same squats.  If I have someone who needs to work on core and balance, that client may do squats on the BOSU.  Someone who needs a bit more support might get to do squats with a stability ball against a wall or using the TRX or the springs from the trap table.  A client working on increasing their max weight is going to use heavier dumbbells or maybe even the power rack and Olympic bar.  Yes, all those workouts have squats on them, but every individual is going to have a much different experience of those squats.

Or perhaps I write down skullcrushers on the weekly workout.  I like to write skullcrushers: it’s a fun word.  If I have a client with borderline high blood pressure (who is cleared by a doctor to work out!), I am not going to have that person moving from standing to lying to standing a lot, so unless I have them lying down already, I may substitute a different triceps exercise, like kickbacks, dips, or even standing skullcrushers.  I want to work muscle groups in different ways, but the overarching principle is keeping clients safe while making them strong.

Or maybe I put burpees on the list… In that case, it’s time to suck it up because no one is negotiating me out of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment