Tuesday, May 12, 2020

No, motivation is not included with the certification...


When I meet people and tell them what I do for a living, they assume, naturally, that I love to exercise and that I don’t struggle to get in my own workouts.  I mean, I’m a trained professional!  They aren’t entirely wrong, but they’re not one hundred percent right either.

I don’t usually have to chivvy myself into going for a bike ride—it makes me feel like I’m about nine, without a care in the world.  As long as it’s not rainy and cold, I’m ready to hike, especially if I can bring my camera.  When it’s easy to jump in a pool, I’m there.

However, there are plenty of kinds of exercise I do because they are good for me, or because they make me feel better when I’m done.  I have been known to refer to my spin bike as the magic mood improvement machine.  Yoga and Pilates are not always fun in the moment, but I always feel more relaxed and centered for having done them.  Weight lifting bores the pants off me, but since I want my pants to fit and I want to be strong and powerful, I do it.

For me, there are a couple of key things that keep me showing up.  One is habit.  I get up in the morning, use the bathroom, brush my teeth, write my morning pages, and go walk the dog.  When I get back from walking the dog, I stick some food in my face and do whatever the workout of the day is.  Then I shower and get down to the rest of my life tasks.  If I somehow get off track before my shower, I’m likely to skip the workout entirely.  It has its place and I have to let the habit carry me along.

The other thing is to make it as much fun as possible.  If my cardio had to be running, I would not do it.  I don’t like running.  But give me something with pedals and some loud music and I’m golden.  I have the prettiest weight plates in existence—they’re brightly colored and fun.  This makes me more inclined to play with my toys.

If all else fails, I have to remind myself that I am a grown up and I need to do the things that keep me happy and healthy.  I don’t like it when I have to do that, because I prefer to pretend that I can be a kid forever.  However, somebody has to be the mama around here and I guess that would be me.

What works for me may not work for anyone else.  However, we all need to spend a little time thinking about what does work for us so we can live long and happy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment