Tuesday, January 7, 2020

No, not the box-shaped puzzle...



I love rubrics because they are an efficient way to know how I’m doing.  They also help to keep my perfectionism in check.  To give a non-fitness example, my rubric for housework is that the end result needs to be better than when I started.  If the house looks better at the end, I’ve done enough and I can declare success.  (If that doesn’t work and I still feel less-than-successful, I employ my second-tier rubric:  if what I did was more than anyone else around here has done recently, I win!)

Rubrics for fitness come in many flavors.  Some are traditional:  aim to increase cardio time by about ten percent a week, add more weight when 12 reps are easy, work out hard enough that we can talk but not sing.  One of my favorites is that we need to be sweaty at the end, although it doesn’t work for swimming.  Another is that we should stop before discomfort becomes pain.

We can make different ones for the various things we do.  Maybe the rubric for cardio is that we need to spend at least half an hour doing it each day.  Maybe the rubric for weights is that on the day we have to do deadlifts, we don’t have to do any other lower body exercises because we’ve exercised our character, too.

There are not too many outlets for our creativity when we’re working out.  We can take this opportunity to experiment and play and find the rubrics that keep us moving along toward our goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment