Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Stages of Change


One of the things I love about my job is that I get to keep learning things.  It might be obvious that I’m constantly reading things to increase my knowledge base.  Additionally, I am required to do some formal continuing education every two years to keep my personal training certification up to date.  Last week, I started my Behavior Modification Specialization, which I expect to give me more tools to help clients be successful in reaching their goals.

We all have changes we would like to make or that we should make.  One of the things we have to figure out is where we are on a scale of readiness to change.  The model I’m learning suggests that there are five:  precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, and maintenance.

In the first three stages, the work that goes on is mostly about education and consciousness-raising.  Action and maintenance are where the change really happens and where it becomes part of our lives forever.


We need to think about where we are now.  Do we need more information?  Do we need to consider options?  Or do we need to get moving?  Wherever we are, we can work together to get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment