Monday, June 13, 2016

Bonus points for carrying up and down stairs


While lifting more weight in the gym is, in itself, a goal for some of us, it isn’t really supposed to be an end in itself.  The point of the exercise lies in what happens the rest of the time.

Over the weekend, I ended up doing some recreational furniture moving with some friends.  It is good to be able to lift and carry what seemed like endless boxes of books.  It is interesting (and sometimes frustrating!) to apply the mechanics of lifting to something like a filing cabinet instead of a barbell.  Yes, I like having a nice, tidy number next to the amount I can lift.  I like it better when the amount I can lift becomes a practical asset in daily life.


By all means we should take joy in our gym time and in all our times.  But let’s remember that life happens in other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment