Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Throwing Shade






I am that person who talks back to surveys because multiple choice just does not allow me enough scope for my world view.  I also choose things like 5.65 on a scale of 1 to 10.  Nuance, people!  It’s important!

 

My point here is not just to expose all my various neuroses.  I was thinking about nuance because it is nuance that shades between acceptance and giving up.  I am in favor of one of those things.

 

Acceptance is a beautiful thing.  It is where we keep in touch with reality.  I accept that I am just not ever going to get any taller at this point in my life.  I accept that it is probably best if I do dance not only as if no one is watching but when no one is watching.  Acceptance is protective.  It says that it takes a while to recover from a knee injury, that the first workout back after a couple of months of sluglike existence is not going to be peak performance.  It points out that we are not as young as we used to be.

 

However, even not as young as we used to be, we are still awesome.  We don’t give up.  Maybe we can’t run, but we can walk.  We don’t decide that since a gold medal is basically out of the question that we are never going to get out of bed or move again.

 

Acceptance takes a look at what is possible, nods, and makes the most of reality.  Giving up, after the same glance, rolls over and prepares to die.  Let’s choose the good one, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment