Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Gotta Make the Morning Last...






One of the things I love about Pilates is that it helps me slow down.  I am not the world’s most patient person, so I tend to go as close to warp speed as possible most of the time.  This is not entirely sustainable, so I am grateful, again, to Uncle Joe for his help.

 

Two particular aspects of Pilates make it conducive to a more sensible tempo for me, and maybe I’m not alone in this.  Pilates moves with the breath.  While it is possible to breathe fast enough to do a set of chest lifts or femur arcs or Russian splits at the pace I often want to get them done, it’s not very pleasant.  Allowing the breath to facilitate the motions almost automatically slows things to a more manageable level.  It also keeps me from hyperventilating!

 

The other part of Pilates that helps me tune in to a more leisurely, enjoyable experience is the integration it demands between body and mind.  My body, left to itself, will flail around at its top speed.  When I have to be more precise and more thoughtful about the quality of the motion, everything takes longer.  Pilates is not about getting it done; it’s about getting it done right.

 

We all, I think, need a little more space in our lives.  Pilates, by helping us unplug from the high-velocity activities of the day, makes that space possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment