Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Lift






My focus with my personal training clients is on weight training (and yes, I sneak a little Pilates in there, just like I sneak a few weight exercises in with my Pilates clients).  It’s not that I don’t love cardio; it’s just that cardio is something most of us can and often will do on our own.

 

Weight training can seem mysterious to those of us who are just now thinking about getting off the couch.  There are so many weird contraptions and sometimes the lifters make grunting noises and it’s not like we want to compete in some Mx. Universe thing, so why would we even bother?

 

I’ll grant that some of the gym rats are a little odd and possibly unwelcoming to the new lifter.  But gyms are really for everyone and anyone who gets their nose out of joint about sharing the space and equipment needs a quick review of the kindergarten curriculum.  We all deserve to be healthy and we are allowed to take up room and use resources.

 

Now, on to the bizarre-looking gizmos.  I have a simple solution to dealing with most gym machines:  skip them.  The machines are designed to work muscles in isolation.  That can be great if we are, for example, rehabbing from a hamstring injury.  Most of the time, however, we do better using free weights because our muscles, in real life, work together.  When we use free weights, we have to recruit our stabilizing muscles more, which improves our balance.  We also get to experience the differences in strength between the sides of our bodies; the machine is not there to smooth out the discrepancy between the left and right sides.

 

As to why we even want to bother with lifting at all, I will limit myself to three reasons, even though there are lots.

 

First, lifting weights is an efficient way to lose weight while changing body composition.  It burns calories and builds muscle.  The greater the proportion of muscle tissue to fatty tissue, the smaller and tighter our bodies look.

 

Second, lifting weights keeps our bones strong.  Not one of us is getting younger.  Weight training helps us build and maintain strong bones, which in turn prevents us from having fractures in our old age.  Fractures are a major contributing factor to losing the ability to live independently and also to general mortality in older people.

 

Third, it’s empowering.  (My dad was convinced I was going to starve to death when I moved out because how would I open jars?)  Not only can we do more, we get metaphorically stronger as well as we tackle the challenges of lifting heavy objects.

 

Go play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment