Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Feeling hippy...



I confess that I’m a little obsessed with squats.  What is not to like about an exercise that uses lots of joints, promotes stability and mobility, increases strength, and helps keep us out of nursing homes?

Over the weekend, I learned more about squats.  I have new tools to evaluate squat performance and then to help improve that performance.  I even learned a couple of exercises that my clients will actually like that enable better squatting!

I realize that not everyone shares my enthusiasm, so I will limit myself to one example of improved squatting:  the hips need to move first.  When that happens, the knees bend only when the center of gravity falls too far backward, taking less pressure and allowing for deeper movement and even encouraging the feet to stay down longer for those of us whose heels rise when we go particularly deep into a squat.  Small changes can improve performance so much!!!

Let’s do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment