Tuesday, September 26, 2017

There are lots of doors.


Sometimes, despite our best efforts, a goal does not work out.  I planned to ride a century this year, but it turns out that I’m not going to be doing it after all.  My desire to have forearms that work in the long term is stronger than my need to check off the box to complete the goal.

It’s not easy.  I like checking boxes.  I love riding my bike.  I wanted to feel strong and accomplished, if tired. 

Instead, I get to face the challenge of revising my plans.  I get to learn how to deal with frustration.  I get to exercise my patience.  And I get to set new goals.  I know I am not the only one who has dealt with setbacks and frustration around goals.  One of the reasons I help my clients monitor progress is to keep their goals in line with present reality, whether that means that they get to achieve more or they get to adjust to new circumstances.


Maybe it feels like a door has slammed.  Let’s find another door.

No comments:

Post a Comment