Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Run, Run Away



Over the weekend, I went to a workshop about running.  It was two hours of great information and hard work!  I liked it so much that I’m doing a three-day version in May!

I have never been much of a runner.  I got in trouble in high school P.E. and had to work off the demerits or whatever they were called by running.  I hated every minute of it, but I got better at it.  It was the memory of getting better at it that led me to try it when my forearms and hips objected to biking.  Cue the ruptured plantar fascia.  This did not improve my feelings about running.  However, with the rupture healed, with clients running more, and with the purpose of the workshop stated as running without pain, I figured I could try again.

There were three things I took away from the workshop that I want to share.  One was that we need to strengthen and mobilize our feet.  The activation and stretching exercises we did percolated up my legs and freed up my ankles and knees as well.  The exercises were surprisingly challenging and I felt them the next day in that post-workout soreness way.

The second was that we need to squat more.  I don’t mean that we need to do more squats, although that is also a wonderful thing.  I mean that we need to make an effort to hang out in the deep squat position, heels on the floor if possible.  For me, this will take some getting used to and I suspect that I am not alone (I will have to find an activity to link with it—maybe while my breakfast eggs boil?).  We can thank our chairs and our too-sedentary lives for this particular difficulty.

Finally, and this is what truly won me over, running should be fun.  When our bodies are adequately prepared for running, it can be play, like when we were kids at recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment