Tuesday, June 19, 2018

I'm Learning About Nutrition, So You Can, Too!



Having finished one adventure in continuing education, I have embarked on the next:  fitness nutrition!  I have acquired an enormous textbook (qualifies as weight lifting!) and am busily importing the information into my wetware, so to speak.

I chose fitness nutrition as my next focus because there is need.  While we are bombarded with headlines about miracle foods or the latest food of doom, we remain confused about how to choose our foods wisely.  I want to eat better and I know my clients do, too.

Consider this list of top ten calorie sources for Americans over age 2 from 2005 to 2006, as compiled by the US Department of Agriculture and the US Department of Health and Human Services, as seen in my text:

1.     Grain-based desserts (e.g., pies, cakes, cookies)
2.     Yeast breads
3.     Chicken and chicken mixed dishes (e.g., chicken strips, casseroles, stir fries)
4.     Soda/energy/sports drinks
5.     Pizza
6.     Alcoholic beverages
7.     Pasta and pasta dishes (e.g., mac and cheese, spaghetti, ravioli)
8.     Tortillas, burritos, and tacos
9.     Beef and beef mixed dishes (e.g., meatloaf, beef stew)
10.  Dairy desserts (e.g., ice cream, frozen yogurt, pudding)

That’s a lot of sugar, people, and a big pile of fat to go with it.  We can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment