Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Everybody in the pool!




Maybe the most obvious, if ignored, part of making fitness fun is choosing activities you enjoy.  Please note:  not activities that you are necessarily good at, but ones that make you smile.

I am a terrible swimmer.  I’m probably not going to drown any time soon, but I’m no risk to escape from Alcatraz.  The thing is, once I put my body in the water, I feel fabulous.  My favorite aromatherapy scent is chlorine with a side of suntan lotion.  I am not kidding.

My form is doubtless embarrassing.  I can only breathe on my left side.  I splash.  I have never attempted a flip turn.  But when I swim, my heart beats, my muscles work, and I grin inside; grinning outside ends up with sputtering and is not recommended.  Of course, I can work on my technique and I will.  The point is that I will swim more because I like swimming.  If I look funny doing it, extra bonus points because laughter is good for all of us.

Exercise heals because it treats body and mind.  My body may be panting and flailing, but my brain feels like I am nine years old and may get to have grape soda later when I dry off on the hot pavement.  (Grape soda, also a favorite aromatherapy scent, although I can’t actually drink it anymore.)

Go play!  Grab friends and play football.  Put on your dancing shoes.  Play hopscotch.  Ride your bike and ring that bike bell.  The only rule is that you have to have fun.



(The photos are of me when I was six in 1974 and of my grandma and great grandma in 1961.  I was trying to find one of my grandma in one of her notorious bathing caps, but settled on bathing beauty instead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment