Tuesday, April 28, 2015

"Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages"



“It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-side; and though it is five or six years since I trod it, it is still quite distinct,” wrote Thoreau near the end of Walden, as he reflected on why he went to the cabin in the woods and why he left.  Similarly, when my kids were little, we often walked to the local bakery, usually on the same side of the street.  When we used the opposite sidewalk, the kids called it “the sneaky way.”

Leaving our usual paths and taking the sneaky way shifts our perspective.  I ride the same routes on my bike most of the time.  Over the weekend, I rode a new way.  I saw new views.  I faced new challenges.  And growth happened.

Even during the ride, the perspective changed.  The top picture is from near the beginning of the ride, the next two are from the middle and the end, each showing a bigger world.  Fitness is about a bigger world, one with more adventures and laughter and play.




Let’s explore the big world.  (Oh, the title is swiped from Chaucer, on the desire to travel in April.)

No comments:

Post a Comment