Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Book Review: Spark


I stayed up later than I should have last night because I was so excited about the book I was reading.  John Ratey’s book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain unfolds all kinds of motivation to get moving.  He provides the evidence for why exercise, particularly aerobic exercise, promotes good brain health.

Specific chapters discuss particular issues, such as depression, ADHD, aging, addiction, and women’s health.

While the focus is on aerobic exercise, the book does advocate for a balanced exercise program including weight training, agility, and balance and flexibility.  The benefits accrue, according to the evidence, at fairly minimal levels, but more is better.

Speaking as a person who would prefer not to be depressed, senile, and physically impaired, I am newly motivated to move (not that it takes much…).


Go play!

No comments:

Post a Comment