Thursday, January 11, 2018

Out, darn clutter...


I admit that I’m fascinated with the concept of decluttering.  I like the idea of having the right amount of stuff, not so much that it overwhelms me and fills all available space, but not so little that the world is cold and boring.  I often even enjoy the process of decluttering—out with the ugly sweaters, the dissatisfying books, and the lidless containers!  Except.

There are things that are harder to let go of.  And many of them are both unwieldy and invisible.  Here are some I want to pitch; maybe you’ll join me:

• Comfort eating.  I do not need to clutter up my body with a cookie just because it was a Bad Day.

• Cooties.  Sometimes objects are so reminiscent of a time or relationship that has gone (or gone wrong) that even though the objects are perfectly usable, they loom and fester and bring us down.  Yes, I get space from ditching the things, but I get more space from ditching all the weight of memory.

• Mean thoughts.  I do not need to get up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say, “Gee, I look horrible/fat/tired/ugly/weird/old.”  It does not help me feel motivated.  It weighs me down.  I’m not suggesting that I lie to myself and say, “Hello, there, Miss America!” to my reflection, but rather that I treat myself like I would treat a friend.

• Comparisons.  As many writers have remarked, comparisons are odious.  There will always be someone smarter, stronger, cuter, and more talented than I am.  There will also always be someone less fortunate than I am.  Wasting time measuring is silly.  I need to get on with the actual work.


Got more ideas?  Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment