Friday, December 15, 2017

This cabbage has no relation to the post; I just like it.


I really should read faster.  However, I can’t go back in time and finish a book in time to write about it now, so I’ll have to write about attitude.

There is an awful lot of writing out there about transforming life by transforming thinking.  Some people think of it as more literal than others, suggesting that we can imagine ourselves into wealth, complete with fast car and attractive partner.  Others take the view that all we have control over is our own reactions, so we might as well get in control of those and make the best of things.  There is some validity here (may not extend to the wealth/car/partner stuff, but what do I know?).

The danger, in my view, is that we lose sight of the actual world as we spend so much time in the mental world.  I have no problem with positive attitudes.  But sometimes, there are actual actions we can take to fix stuff so we don’t have to adopt a positive attitude to a negative situation.  This would be the body part of the mind-body connection. 


Or, as Thoreau said, “If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

No comments:

Post a Comment