Tuesday, December 5, 2017

It's Cold (Inside)


I spent the weekend having a cold.  It is getting to be that time of year.  I didn’t work out while I was sick, but I knew I was getting better when Cricket wanted to walk and I wanted to go, too.  Here are some thoughts to use when deciding when and how to work out after being sick:

• Go easy.  Do not make the first workout back just as hard as whatever you were doing before you got sick.  Recovery takes energy.

• Hydrate even more.  We all need more fluids when we are dying of colds.

• Stop when you are tired.  The Workout Police are not counting your reps.  They do not care if you were aiming for 45 minutes on the treadmill and you stopped at 20.  They do not hand out tickets to people who complete only one set of bench presses before hitting the showers.

• Focus on what makes you feel good.  For most people, this means light cardio, just enough to boost mood and improve sleep.


• If you work out in a gym, be careful about hygiene.  Wipe down the equipment.  Don’t forget your tissues.  No one wants your germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment