Friday, December 8, 2017

Friday Report Report (And a Chance to Tell Me Things!)


“How We Gather” is a paper by Angie Thurston and Casper ter Kuile.  I read it because something else I read referred to it, although I don’t remember what now.  The writers explore ten organizations where millennials gather to find meaning in our somewhat post-organized-religion culture, where they found six broad themes:  community, personal transformation, social transformation, purpose finding, creativity, and accountability.  While the focus was on millennials, I think what they found speaks to other generations as well.

One thing I found striking was that two of the ten organizations chosen as exemplars of this new way of building community were explicitly exercise-based.  It’s nice to know that I am not alone in thinking that changing bodies can change the world.


Here’s the thing:  I want to do it better.  Give me feedback!  How can I do more to foster community, personal and social transformation, purpose, creativity, and accountability with my work?  What do you wish I offered (besides weekend hours—a person needs a little balance!)?  Would you enjoy reading groups?  Community meals?  Service projects?  Meditation?  Classes?  What needs can I meet?

No comments:

Post a Comment