Wednesday, November 15, 2017

You can also get stronger lifting Russian novels...


My English teacher my junior year in high school, Mr. Johsens, was determined to make us think.  (He may have felt some frustration in this task, taken out on us in his choices of reading, which were uniformly depressing; if I were looking for a book list to encourage suicidal tendencies, I might choose the books we read that year.  He, however, remained consistently cheerful and engaged.  End of digression.)  In the course of this thankless (until now:  thank you, Mr. Johsens, wherever you are!) task, he spent a fair amount of time emphasizing the importance of premises.  All of our arguments begin with the premises we choose.  Among those premises, we find the meanings we assign to particular words.  Yes, I am getting to the point now.

We have to decide what we mean by fitness.  I can help my clients become fitter, but that might mean something totally different to different clients.  One may want to lose weight.  Another may want to increase mobility in the face of chronic disease.  Yet another might want to keep up with a perpetual-motion kid.


Let’s have that conversation.  Let’s figure out a fitness goal that makes sense.  Then we can get there from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment