Friday, September 15, 2017

Friday Report on Why I Have No Book Report


I woke up this morning and realized that I had not finished the book I intended to write about for today’s blog post.  This has been happening more often.  My first reaction is that I don’t like it.

From there, I can go lots of different ways.  One way is analysis.  Why don’t I like the trend?  Well, it makes me feel like I am failing, like I’m probably lazy.  I feel like the Great Gradebook in the Sky has written me down a slacker.  There probably isn’t a Great Gradebook in the Sky, so perhaps I should relax.

Then I can analyze why I’m not finishing the books.  Only one small part of the issue is anything kind of like slacking.  I do, in fact, have a lot to do other than read.  The books I have been reading lately are more challenging and often longer than those I’ve read in the past.  Some things that are worth doing take longer.

Practically, I have to decide.  I still think that reading and writing about it is a valid exercise for this blog.  My work is about mind and body, so if all I write about is body, I’m cheating.  Which means that on weeks when I don’t finish the book in time, I’ll write some other mind thing for Friday.


Another way to state the problem, which makes the fitness application clearer, is:  I have a goal that is aggressive.  Aggressive goals with deadlines are useful for motivation, but sometimes the deadlines need to be adjusted when it turns out that the worthwhile end is going to take longer than expected, no matter how hard I am working.  Working hard is important; reading is important; goals are important; the most important parts, however, are not quitting and staying positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment