Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday Book Report: 2 Picture Books


I love picture books.  The two I bought this week exemplify why.

A Different Pond by Bao Phi tells the story of an immigrant Hmong family from the perspective of the youngest child.  While it is a story about what is difficult, it is ultimately a story about success.  The poetic vision of the story and the evocative pictures create an affirming space.  Those of us who value family will find much to love here.

My Beautiful Birds by Suzanne Del Rizzo has the most gorgeous art I think I have ever seen in a picture book. The author and artist works in Plasticine, polymer clay, and other mixed media.  The birds (and children and adults and settings) are, in fact, beautiful.  The story is heartbreaking, about Syrian refugee children, but holds out hope for solace in the things we love and the people around us.



(Both of these books fill the heart.  If that is not a fitness concept, I don’t know what is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment