Friday, February 3, 2017

Friday Book Report: Emergence

John H. Holland’s book Emergence:  From Chaos to Order is not particularly light reading.  People who are mathier-than-I (sure, that’s a word, right?) might have an easier time following some of his arguments.  There is a chapter on metaphor, for those of us who feel happier among the poets.  That’s the disclaimer.

The central idea of the book is that a few simple rules, as in a game, can produce surprising complexity that is difficult or impossible to predict from an examination of the rules.  This “emergence” implies some interesting things for areas as diverse as genetics and cognition.  It also impacts the art of model building, which, in turn, allows us to understand complex phenomena.

It is always worth reading books that stretch the brain.  I think that I put it on my blog reading list because the book was referred to in one of the books that traced our evolution; we do emerge, complex, from a fairly limited number of building blocks, after all.


I would recommend it, and maybe a math tutor.  At least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment