Thursday, August 4, 2016

Thursday Book Report: The Martian


Andrew Luck chose new books for his book club!  Hooray!  For kids/”rookies,” he chose The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.  It’s great.  If you haven’t read it, do it.  However, I’m here to write about the grown-up choice:  The Martian by Andy Weir.

I saw the movie and liked it.  I liked the book more.  It reminded me of The Swiss Family Robinson, except funnier and in space.  What is not to like about a book with contraptions and adventures and rockets?  Adversity is overcome!  Death is vanquished by duct tape and ridiculous jokes!


In some ways, this was the perfect book to read after last week’s book (Resilience).  All the characteristics required to bounce back from difficult situations were on exhibit in The Martian.  Our hero uses his brains and his body to survive and even thrive through optimism, intelligence, and humor.  I rooted for him all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment