Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Perfection and optimization and reality


While I spend a good chunk of my time planning exercises for people, thinking about balancing cardio, strength, balance, and flexibility, I know that ultimately the best exercise is the exercise that gets done.  I can plan the perfect workout, but if I don’t do it, it doesn’t help.

When my clients are with me, they do what I plan.  The rest of their lives, they are on their own and have to make positive fitness choices All By Themselves, just like we all do.

As an impatient person, I complain about tracking things.  It takes too long to write stuff down.  (I am waiting for the Fitbit Psychic, which will just know what I eat and do and everything without me having to do anything…)  However, when I do track what I do, I learn to make better choices. 

I make a plan every week.  The first part of making the plan is looking at last week’s results and seeing how I did.  If I set my goal too low, I know I need to kick it up a little.  If I didn’t do half of what I planned, I need to figure out whether I was overly optimistic about what was possible or just lazy or some combination.

Maybe a pattern emerges.  Maybe it turns out that 5:30 a.m. spin just doesn’t work right now.  Maybe that lunchtime workout does the trick.


The workout we do is better than the perfect workout we avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment