Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Are we there yet? And other important journey questions


Most of the time I wear my Fitbit.  I don’t have the fanciest version.  I don’t even use all the features mine has.   A week or so ago, I took it off to charge and didn’t put it back on for days.  And that is a good thing.

A Fitbit or other tracker (I happen to have a Fitbit, but I have no strong opinion on which kinds of trackers are best, as will be evident by what I’m about to say…) is a tool, not a goal.  Ten thousand steps a day will not perfect me.  A few more, a few less, and I will still be fine.  It is important to remember who is boss.  Hint:  it is not the little rubber and plastic thing on the wrist.

The tracker’s job is to remind.  We need mindfulness.  If our inner Lao Tse of the ten thousand mile journey needs a little help counting the steps after the first one, no problem.  But the number of steps does not measure the quality of the journey.


What do we see on the way?  How do we feel?  Where are we going?

No comments:

Post a Comment