Monday, February 8, 2016

A woman, a plan, but no canal


On the weekend, I try to get everything organized for the week ahead.  There are two things that particularly help me with my fitness:  meal planning and workout planning.

I have been planning meals for a long time, at least in part because I don’t enjoy going to the grocery store.  If I plan the week’s meals, I usually only have to go once.  Also, I work in the evenings, so planning ahead means I can grab dinner quickly and easily without resorting to junk food.  Making the decisions about what to eat when I am not already hungry and cranky means I can choose foods that are good for the family.  I can do the time-consuming parts of the cooking ahead of time, like roasting squash for soup or poaching fish for lunches.  It helps me eat with intention rather than from extreme hunger and desire for chocolate.  I have a flexible framework in which to choose wisely.

Similarly, when I plan my workouts for the week, I take into account what is on my schedule, whether the weather is likely to be friendly, and what my body seems to need.  My general plan is to ensure at least two weight workouts and two Pilates workouts, one or two yoga sessions, and cardio every day.  I think through the weight workouts and the Pilates ahead of time based on how the week before went.  (I don’t have to think about my yoga, because I go to class and the lovely Hilary has already figured out what I am going to do.)


I may not complete everything in my plans.  Sometimes I get lunch with friends instead of the salad I was thinking of eating.  Sometimes I cheat and eat popcorn for dinner.  The plan, however, reminds me that I do have goals and I can take steps to reach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment