Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The pencil push is harder than the bench press


The reality of keeping records bores me, at least when it comes to my own workouts; I track what my clients do because I am always excited to see how much progress they make.  In theory, I love the idea of keeping a food journal and logging the actual weights I lift and the time I spend at various exercise things.  I have started innumerable (see, I wasn’t counting!) systems for tracking all kinds of things that all break down on the fact that I don’t want to waste time writing it all down.  Here’s the thing, though:  when I look back at those records, they provide a useful snapshot to compare to the present moment.  I have my first weight lifting workout sheet from the Berkeley YMCA from back when I was 26 years old.  I bench pressed 30 pounds.  The weight is quite a bit more nowadays, so I could kick my own 26 year old butt.


My point is that while thorough record keeping is a fabulous tool, occasional record keeping has value also.  Jot down one workout and keep it somewhere you can run across it in six months.  See how it compares to what you are doing then.

No comments:

Post a Comment